1300 Cedar Ave. Trail, BC V1R 4C2
Phone: (250) 368-5528
Fax: (250) 368-8825
DR. SCOTT EMERY
DC, BSc. Kin., CSCS, SFMA, DNS, ART, Graston
Dr. Scott Emery is the owner and founder of the all new Institute of Movement. He was born and raised in Abbotsford, BC, centred between the Coastal Mountains of British Columbia and the Cascade Mountains of Northern Washington. He grew up skiing and hiking in both of these ranges, which shaped his love and need for being in the mountains from an early age.
He was introduced to Chiropractic and rehabilitation at a young age due to injuries arising from the sports he loved: Hockey, Rugby and Skiing. Through this type of care, he fell in love with anatomical structure, function and biomechanics and was further inspired toward medicine by his mother’s career as an ER nurse. As a result, he decided to attend the University of Victoria pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology.
Upon graduation, Dr. Emery followed his love for the mountains and his passion for skiing and mountain biking to the West Kootenays where he began work as a Kinesiologist. He quickly fell in love with the quaint little mountain town of Rossland, BC where he could both live and play in the Monashee mountains that drew him to the Kootenays in the first place. He officially moved in 2003 and has called it home base ever since.
In 2005, Dr. Scott followed his love for sports medicine and rehabilitation by starting Chiropractic school at Western States Chiropractic College in Portland, OR. He graduated cum laude with his Doctor of Chiropractic degree in 2009, and immediately moved home to Rossland and took over City Centre Chiropractic in Trail, BC.
Now, with 11 years in practice serving this amazing community, he has worked tirelessly to develop and construct his multidisciplinary dream clinic. The all new in.MVMNT sport I spine I wellness (The Institute of Movement) is a modern health facility featuring a skilled healthcare team of Chiropractors, Acupuncturists, Massage Therapists, Naturopaths and Kinesiologists that work together to manage your health collectively. The facility is home to cutting edge treatment amenities and a world-class rehabilitation and movement space. It is here that Dr. Scott is able to take his Biomechanics and Movement specialization and blend it with modern Chiropractic care to bring you back to health and optimize your performance whether you’re a weekend warrior, elite or professional athlete.
Throughout his career, Dr. Scott has remained educationally focused in order to confidently provide clinically relevant and evidence based treatment strategies for his patients. He has travelled across North America to partake in the following specialized educational seminars and certification programs in order to enhance patient outcomes using a research guided practice model.
- Functional Assessment and manipulation of Upper Quadrant, Lower Quadrant and Extremities (Motion Palpation Institute)
- Certified masters level provider of Active Release Techniques (Upper Extremity 1, Lower Extremity 1, Spine 1, Nerve Entrapment, Biomechanics, Active Palpation, Master’s Protocols, Complex Protocols, Advanced Level Upper Extremity 2)
- Certified provider of Graston Technique, instrument assisted soft tissue release (GT1 and GT2)
- Certified clinician in Selective Functional Movement Assessment (level 1)
- Functional Rehabilitation and Exercise (Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization – Dr. Pavel Kolar, McGill Method – Dr. Stuart McGill, Principles of Movement – Dr. Craig Liebenson)
- Evaluation and Management of the Shoulder and Rotator Cuff (Shoulder Made Simple – Dr. Dale Buchberger)
- Kinesio Tape application (Kinesio Taping Methods)
- Cold Laser therapy applications certification (Apollo PT)
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (National Strength and Conditioning Association)
- First Aid Responder with CPR level C (Canadian Red Cross)
- SPORTS INJURY AND PERFORMANCE ATHLETICS – Youth to elite to professional, Dr. Scott treats aspiring young athletes all the way up to professional athletes in a variety of sports including elite hockey and soccer players, dancers, mountain bikers, skiers, snowboarders and motocross riders alike.
- SPINAL TRAUMA – Dr. Scott was involved in a severe mountain bike accident in 2016 that left him with multiple fractures in his neck, upper back and rib cage resulting in significant nerve damage. Seven months of intensive rehabilitation and movement retraining allowed him to inevitably get back to practice and back on his bike. Now he has unique insight for those who are recovering from major spinal injuries and neurologic compromise following major trauma.
- SHOULDER INJURY – Having fought shoulder injuries his entire sporting career, Dr. Scott has always had a keen interest in the shoulder. He has taken a plethora of in depth additional training focused around this complex joint, and uses cutting edge and unique treatment and rehabilitation methods to maximize outcomes.
- BIOMECHANICS OF THE LOWER EXTREMITY – Gait analysis and movement assessment in order to better understand the root cause of upstream injury related to faulty movement patterns. Accurately correcting these patterns to change movement and build appropriate stability, balance and strength thereby preventing re-injury.
- FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENT – The movement of our bodies is programmed to function using fundamental principles and guidelines. However, injury and poor movement habits can break this set of principles and lead to a disconnection between the brain and its control over the body. Functional movement is about re-training these proprioceptive centres of the brain to re-establish the appropriate movement patterns that we were designed to utilize through neuroplasticity.
- CONCUSSION MANAGEMENT – Traumatic Brain Injuries are becoming more and more understood and recognized both in athletic and accident based traumas. These injuries are complex accelerations of the brain within the skull cavity that can lead to mechanical trauma to the neck (like whiplash), and vast neurologic compromises. Vestibulomotor conditions like nausea, dizziness, fatigue, headaches and vision changes are not uncommon symptoms, and cognitive impairments and personality change also often accompany these complicated injuries. Through special training and in-depth academia, Dr. Scott has taken great interest in head injury and will be continuing his evidence based education through the Complete Concussion Management group.